Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1 (800) 619-8991
Phone: (952) 388-2942

What to Expect When Your License is Suspended After a DWI in Minnesota

What Happened to My Driver’s License and How Do I Get It Back?

If you are arrested for DWI and your Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) test at or above 0.08%, the Police Officer will clip your Driver’s License and give you a Notice and Order of Revocation of your Driver’s License (DL).

This Notice gives you a 7 day temporary license and then your DL is suspended.

In order to get back your license, you will have to jump through several hoops that may include:

First Offense:

  • Paying a reinstatement fee of $680.00
  • Taking a written driver’s license test focusing on alcohol related questions
  • Applying for a new Driver License (fee is currently $24)

* In some cases you may be required to have special license plates and install ignition interlock on your vehicle

Second Offence:

  • All of the above
  • Applying for and installing Special license plates and Ignition Interlock on your vehicle
  • Special review – you are required to sign a form indicating you shall have to jump through more hoops if you ever get another DWI

Third Offense or More:

  • All of the above

* Your license shall be Cancelled as Inimical to Public Safety for 3-6 years

The length of the suspension depends on the charges against you.

  • First DWI Offense: a 90 day or 1 year suspension.
  • Second DWI Offense: a 1-2 year suspension including an Ignition Interlock requirement to drive.
  • Third or more DWI Offense: a 3-6 year suspension including an ignition Interlock requirement to drive and limitation on hours of driving for the first year.

** All suspension periods are longer or more restrictive if your test shows a BAC of 0.16% or higher or if you are under the age of 21 when the DWI occurs. **

You can challenge the license suspension by filing a challenge in Civil District Court within 30 days of the revocation. If you fail to take this important step, you will not be able to challenge the suspension – no matter what the outcome of your DWI case!

We can protect your rights and help you try and avoid these harsh penalties.


How Can I Drive During The Suspension Period?

If it is your first offense, and your test BAC is under 0.16%, you have to serve 15 days of the suspension before you can apply for a work permit.

If you are caught driving during this time, you can be charged with Driving After Revocation, or Driving after Cancellation as Inimical to Public Safety –both of which carry possible fines and jail time in addition to what you are facing with the DWI.

If it is your second offense or more, you will have to apply for special license plates and install Ignition Interlock on your vehicle.

That is why it is so important to contact an attorney who can protect your rights!


Hennepin and RamseyCountyTemporary Reinstatement of Full Driving Privileges

If you file a challenge to your license suspension, by statute your hearing must be within 60 days.

In Hennepin and RamseyCounties, they do not give you a hearing within 60 days. You may therefore, in these two counties only, request temporary reinstatement of your driving privileges.

If this request is granted, your license would be completely restored with no restrictions pending the outcome of your case.

Minnesota DWI Defense lawyer Charles Segal is qualified to help you with your License Revocation Hearing and all other aspects of your case. He has the knowledge, resources and experience to fight for you and get you the best possible results.


Contact Minnesota Defense lawyer Charles R. Segal Immediately

Charles R. Segal
Connect with me
Charles Segal is a an experienced attorney in the area of DWI, DUI, Felonies and all Criminal Defense matters.